Element Care, a non-profit, health care organization serving adults 55 and older, is pleased to announce that Joanna Duby, M.D. has been promoted to Medical Director for its Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). Dr. Duby brings more than 25 years of clinical experience as an internist and geriatrician to her new position at Element Care.
Staying healthy as you age can be a challenge. Programs like PACE at Element Care can help by giving older adults the knowledge and tools to prevent falls, manage chronic conditions, and improve their lives.
Keys to Aging Well
While maintaining your physical health is vital to healthy aging, it’s also important to value the experience and maturity you gain with advancing years. Practicing healthy habits throughout your life is ideal, but it’s never too late to reap the benefits of taking good care of yourself.
Here are some healthy aging tips for every stage of life:
- Stay fit with regular exercise –Attending regular exercises classes either at your local senior center or taking advantage of the social activities and wellness gym at the Element Care Adult Day Health Centers.
- Engage socially– Socializing with friends, family and within your community is important to keeping you healthy. Meet your neighbors, go on field trips offered by many community organizations, especially your local senior center or make new friends at Element Care’s Adult Day Health Center. See our Locations.
- Get healthy with a well-balanced diet –Ditch the junk food in favor of a fiber-rich, low-fat and low-cholesterol diet. Be mindful of the time and quantity of your meals. Additionally, Element Care participants can also enjoy a hot meal and other healthy snacks every day at our PACE Centers. For more information on healthy diet tips visit nutrition.gov.
- Keep up with your appointments – Regular check-ups with your doctor, dentist, and optometrist are even more important as you age. Element Care provides comprehensive services including specialty care and transportation to keep you healthy and help you age well at home.
- Be mindful of your medications – Taking all your medications can be challenging if you see multiple specialists and are taking several medications every day. In addition, some medications can have a negative impact when taken together and put you at risk for dizziness and falls. If you need help managing your medications, consider programs like PACE at Element Care that provide coordinated and managed care. We have a dedicated pharmacist and offer free medication delivery straight to your home.
- Stay smoke free and limit alcohol consumption – Alcohol can lead to balance disorders which can put you at risk for falls. Even a small amount of alcohol can affect your balance and reflexes. Studies from the National Institute on Aging show that the rate of hip fractures in older adults increases with alcohol use. In addition, smoking is particularly dangerous for older adults who are already at heightened risk for various health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, respiratory conditions, and cancer. On average, smokers loose at least one decade of life expectancy compared to those who have never smoked.
It is never too late to quit smoking or limit your alcohol consumption. If you need help, programs like PACE at Element Care provide resources and supportive services to help you stay on the path to healthier living.
Finally, taking care of your physical self is vital, but it’s important that you tend to your emotional health as well and live with gratitude.
When asked what the secret was to her long and happy life, a Centenarian PACE participant stated:
“I never wanted what I did not have. I was grateful for all that I did have”.
A touching reminder that we should reap the rewards of our long life, and enjoy each and every day. Now is the time to savor good health and happiness.
Judith Roark Mackey
Strategic Partnerships & Business Development Manager